2.11.06

Simple Delights

I had been thinking that I would write about the depression that can result from living alone in the city with a minimal social life. But alas at this time I am too content with life to write about being depressed. On some other occasion I will write about the lack of community in a city setting. Instead I will talk about the (relatively) simple pleasures of life.

A fresh baguette when both warm in you hand and your mouth as you bite into it is one of the simplest delights. Crispy and crunchy with a soft fluffy center the baguette is one of the many gastronomic successes. It is typical to purchase such a baguette from the artisan bakery near by then as you walk home you nibble on the end. The nibbling phenomenon is so prevalent that several people have mentioned it to me.

I recently purchased a sharp kitchen knife as there was only a small paring knife furnished in my studio. This knife pared with a ripe tomato results very clean slices of tomato. It is difficult to explain how the cleanliness of these slices makes me salivate though I just finished eating the a for mentioned tomato.

If one was to then cause the meeting of the baguette and tomato mentioned above with a slice of light (in flavor) creamy cheese the result would be the instantaneous evaporation of all the pressures of city living. I say light in flavor because on all cheeses in France is marked the fat content and the cheese of preference this evening was 50% fat. Alas it is a small price to pay for such a shedding of life’s pressure.

No comments: